Princes Park Mansions was designed by Wyatt Papworth and built in 1843 as a terrace of ten luxury houses. Set on an important site at the corner of Sefton Park Road and Croxteth Road, it formed an imposing part of the ambitious and innovative Princes Park development. By 1912, the building had been converted into apartments.
The building is owned controlled by the Princes Park Mansions Management Company Ltd, made up of residents who own the flats within it. They are concerned to preserve and enhance as much of the character of the building as possible. Materials have been selected that do not change the existing character of the building, yet they can be read clearly as honest modern interventions. There will be a careful balance between the conservation of the listed building and the need to preserve the building for the future.
As with many properties of this nature, it is important to focus repairs in the most critical areas and plan for future funding and repairs in a phased and prioritised manner. Following on from the successful completion of Phase 1 drainage and external works across the site, Phase 2 work has seen the complete re-roof, removal of dilapidated balconies and restoration of the original balcony at first floor level.